What Should I do if My PhD Advisor Slows Down My Research Taking Weeks to Make Trivial Changes in My Articles?

 The Answer is Written By

The following is called “managing upwards.”

Also works with PhD students and toddlers. And computer scientists.

  1. Don’t ask. Tell. “I’ve sent you my latest draft. I’d like to go over your comments during your office hours two weeks from today. Please propose a different time if that will not be convenient for you.”
  2. Remind. Just once, and not the night before. “Just wanted to remind you that we’ll be going over your comments to my draft Thursday at 3p.”
  3. Escalate if needed. “I certainly understand that you have not been able to make time in the six weeks since I sent you my most recent draft. I think it’s important that this paper gets out sooner, though, so unless you object I’d like to submit it as-is in order to meet this particular deadline.”
  4. And keep working. “Since I spoke with you last I’ve continued to work on the experiments for the follow-on paper and have drafted three of the five sections. I’d be happy to get your feedback on those as well once we put the current paper to bed.”

No threats, no whining, nothing passive-aggressive. You’re a busy professional, they’re a busy professional, you’re both working towards a common goal. Asking “Did you read my paper yet?” is annoying—if they had, they would have been in touch, so you’re forcing them to answer “no” or “not yet.” People respond better to deadlines, believe it or not, and knowing that you’re expecting something by 2pm tomorrow will at best get you the comments you need and, at worst, get you a rescheduled appointment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing Yourself | 6 Questions to Ask at the Midpoint of Your Career

What’s Next for Higher EDUCATION in 2023

Life without the Fed: The Suffolk System